Eye irritation or itchy is very common, Some home remedies for eye irritation are mentioned below. There are many causes behind it possibly. Mostly people suffer from itchy eyelids more specifically beneath the eyelashes. At times it increases and results in swollen and red eyes.
The medical term for itchy eyes is ocular pruritus (“proo-RIE-tus”).
Causes of itchy or irritating eyes
Allergies: It is a very usual cause of itching of eyes. Allergies can be seasonal and also perennial.Allergy can happen due to any medication or product.
Basically, there are two types of allergic conjunctivitis: Either an eye has seasonal allergic conjunctivitis, which is specifically relates to the spring and fall seasonal affect, it is caused due to exposure to allergens like grass, pollen, and weeds.
Other type is Perennial allergies, which affect the eyes all year long and also they are caused by things like mold and dust.
Usually the products we use daily can cause allergy that result in itchy eyes. As people who wear contact lenses develop allergies to their contact lenses solution and it causes red and itchy eyes. There are many other products which are used in routine comprises of such ingredients that may cause your eyes to itch like artificial tears used, makeup, lotions, creams and soaps.
It is not the only reason that means except allergies you can find other reasons that cause itchy eyes. Itching of eyes, burning and redness also might be the cause of dry eye syndrome or meibomian gland dysfunction. Thus it is not always allergies.
Symptoms of Itchy Eyes
If eyes are allergic to anything then other symptoms will include:
- Watery eyes
- Red bloodshot eyes
- Swollen eyelid
- Difficulty seeing or blurred vision
- Inability to open eye due to swelling
- Congestion; difficulty breathing; wheezing
- Sneezing or runny nose
Some home remedies for eye irritation are:
Treatments For Itchy Eyes
- Many times symptoms of itchy eyes are increased by using over and over artificial tears or eye drops to treat eye allergy. However the drops prescribed by doctors are normally helpful in providing relief to itchy eyes. There are medicines given to such patients who are allergens to any specific product or season that is aimed to built protection in future to not being victimized of allergy again.
- The best way to get adequate medicine or treatment after the allergy or cause behind itchy eyes is diagnosed. It is important to consult doctor and get a complete eye examination. Because in case you have dry eye syndrome than the eye drops for seasonal allergic will not be effective. Thus the medication after diagnosis can give you relief.
Tips for Itchy Eyes:
In case you find the cause behind your allergy it is time to visit Doctor and get treated. If you are allergic to your contact lenses or lens solution, better to tell your eye doctor about the problem. Below are some tips for itchy eyes,
- Vacuum regularly to reduce dust and pet dander.
- Keep your windows shut to reduce outdoor allergens.
- Keep your pets out of bedrooms or areas you spend a lot of time in.
- Run your air conditioner to reduce indoor allergens, and keep your air filters and air ducts clean.
- Avoid smoking in rooms with little or no ventilation.
- Watch the news to check the pollen counts. Pollen counts are the highest between 5:00 am and 10:00 am.
- Dry your clothes in a dryer, not outside. Outdoor allergens stick to the fabric of your clothes.
- Take precautions before doing yard work. Wear a face mask and gloves.
- Take a shower after being outside to wash away allergens that have clung to your hair and skin.
By avoiding allergens you can stay protected from itchy eyes. Remember that never rub itchy eyes, because when you do you release more histamines, which only worsen the symptoms. If the tips does not work for you, then use medicines prescribed by doctor.