One of the most common conditions is a headache which can interfere with your daily life activities. There are different causes of headache which results in a different range of headaches, from mild to severe. Doctors from akhtar eye hospital say that the severity range of headaches can impact a specific side of your headache.
Well, you will be surprised to know that one of the causes of the headache is eye strain. It is not common but often occurs in people who focus on a task on a digital device. When you use digital devices in excess, it puts pressure on your eyes and your eyes get tired.
If you do not know about the eye strain that how to diagnose it, the following symptoms can help you, such:
- Sensitivity to light
- Dry eyes
- Watery eyes
- Sore eyes
- Trouble in concentration
- Aches in back, neck, and shoulders
- Blurry vision
Eye strain does not indicate that your eye is injured. All you need is the rest to get rid of the eye strain. It is disruptive to have eye strain headaches.
How to Know If It Is an Eye Strain Headache?
Headaches are of different types but most common are tension headache, migraine, and cluster headache.
You can identify if its eye strain headache by following signs:
- Eye strain headaches often develop after you focus on something for a long time. It does not come after taking a rest or waking up from your bed.
- When you take a rest, the eye strain headache will go away on its own.
- Eye strain headache is not associated with nausea.
- You feel pain behind your eyes and they also feel tired.
Causes of Eye Strain Headache
You should rewind the time when you develop a headache. Try to remember what you were doing when the first symptoms started appearing.
One of the most common causes of eye strain headache is the prolonged use of digital screens.
You and anyone who uses digital devices less often blink their eyes. It is the condition that leads to eye strain. When you blink less, it leads to dry eyes which cause irritation.
Experiencing excessive reflection on your screen can also develop an eye strain headache. Low contrast between background and text also is the cause of the eye strain. Poor posture can also cause this type of headache.
Eye strain also causes uncorrected vision. Contact lenses or glasses can help to correct your vision which is also a leading cause of eye strain.
Try to get the right glasses and contact lenses.
Eyes get tired when they try their hardest to see things in the dim or bright light. Squinting your eyes means that you can get eye strain easily.
Tips To Prevent the Eye Strain
- There are some simple ways to prevent eye strain, such as following the 20-20-20 rule. It means that you need to take frequent breaks. You need to look at any object 20 feet away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes. Once you start practicing this, it will help to prevent the eye strain headache.
- When you blink less, it develops dry eyes which trigger eye strain symptoms. You should blink your eyes more as they moisten them. Artificial tears can also prevent dry eyes.
- Always use the screen after adjusting it. Make sure that your screen is away at least 25 inches from your eyes. Adjust the screen slightly below the level of your eyes. You can choose any other position that can make your work easy. Try to not strain your neck muscles.
- People who wear contact lenses should avoid prolonged use. Experts say that prolonged use of contact lenses can result in eye strain. Overuse can also cause eye irritation.
You should wear prescription glasses while reading or doing any work that needs more focus. When you develop an eye strain headache, close your eyes and rest them. Artificial tears can also help to ease the symptoms. Less blinking can cause dry eyes which worsen the symptoms.
Visit the doctor if you get an eye strain headache more frequently. If you experience nausea and vomiting, get medical help and get regular eye exams.