How To Treat Swollen Eyes Effectively Through Home Remedies
This article is about how to treat swollen eyes fast. Swollen eyes and eyelids cause embarrassment and kill the beautiful look of yours. Sometimes you wonder why it happens even your eyes are not hurtled by anything. So, when the fluid of the eyes starts gathering in the tissue of the eye or eyelid, it becomes puffy.
However, eye swelling is a normal problem which may release within 24 hours. Mostly, it happens in the upper or lower eyelids or sometimes in both. However, if your eyes are swollen more than 1-2 days, then you should consult your doctor because it may be some other eye problem.
Causes of Swollen Eyes:
There are many causes of swollen eyes. Some are seasonal, some allergic and others are caused by some other diseases.
Allergies have always been a cause for eye swelling. People are usually allergic to dust, pollution, smoke, pollens and even animal fur. Coming in contact to any one of them can result in an allergic reaction. This causes the fluid around your eyes to accumulate in the sinuses area and the area surrounding your eyes. It can cause itchiness, puffy eyes and watery eyes all of a sudden.
Lack of Sleep
Lack of sleep is a major factor of eye swelling or swelling underneath the eyes. When you are not getting enough sleep your eyes are not getting adequate rest. This causes your eye muscles to get weaker and dark circles start to appear. Also, too much lack of sleep can also cause loss of collagen, the elastic tissue surrounding your eyes.
Eating too much salty foods and consuming too much sodium can also cause swollen eyes. When you eat too much sodium your body starts to retain water. Once the body retains water your face and eyes start to swell.
Crying too much can also cause your eyes to swell. Fluid starts to accumulate around your eyes when you cry a lot and causes swelling around your eyes, albeit it is short lived.
Another cause of eye swelling is eye infection. Most cases of eye infections results in swollen eyes or swelling underneath the eyes. Mainly eye infections that cause eye swelling are Pink eye that is also known as conjunctivitis, Stye and Chalazion.
Eye infections usually require the consultation from an eye doctor. Do not take any sort of eye infection lightly.
This is obviously a very serious condition. It can be inside the eye or anywhere near the eye. A tumor may cause the swelling of the area. Symptoms may be like bulging eye, blurred vision, lump on your eye lid and also flashes or shadow of light on your eyes. If you see any of these symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.
Grave’s disease also causes eye swelling. This is where your thyroid glands are failing to balance the thyroid hormones in your body. It is also called thyroid eye disease. This may cause pain in your eyes, redness of eyes ad double or blurred vision.
Injuries or traumas to the eye region will also cause swelling underneath the eyes or on your eye lids. In order to heal the damage the area swells so your body can repair the damage tissue near the sensitive eye region.
Swollen Eyes Symptoms:
Below are some of the common and major symptoms of eye swelling that can be caused by any of the above mentioned causes.
- Puffy eyes.
- You feel difficult to close your eyes.
- Discomfort or irritating eyes.
- Eye pain or a migraine.
- Blurry vision.
- Some redness around the eyes.
- Burning sensation.
- Fever and headache.
- Lump on your eyelids
Home Remedies or Preventions:
Before you start consulting with your doctor, it is recommended to cure it at your home first. if you don’t feel any relief, then you should go to your doctor. Mostly, it gets cured within 24 hours but the usage of some remedies may help you to get rid of this before that time period.
- First of all, try to put some cold pack over the eye.
- Secondly, wash your face with water but add some ice cube in it.
- Moreover, try to take some foods which contains some minerals and necessary vitamins for your eyes such as vitamin A, C and E.
- If the problem arises due to allergy, try to cure allergy rather than eyes.
- Try to drink as much water as you can. Hence, this will help you to clean your body system.
- Do some eye exercise, try to close and open the eyes for few minutes. Moreover, try to press the eyes or eyelids with your fingers gently.
- You can use cold tea bags and place them on your eyes. Tea bags contain caffeine that can bring down swelling.
- Try some facial massage to get the blood flowing properly in your facial region. Gently massaging the face around the eye region will help in dispersing the accumulated fluid.
- You can also try going to sleep. Maybe too much excursion is the cause of eye swelling.
- Avoid eating too much salt or foods containing high salt.
- Eat more foods with fatty acids and those that contain omega-3.
Remember, home remedies are in case of usual eye swelling. If you find any serious symptoms of eye swelling that may point towards a dangerous ailment then immediately consult your doctor.
- Puffy Eye Creams.
- Take Vitamin A, E, and B12 pills.
- Eye Drops.
When Do You Need To See A Doctor
There are certain condition when you really need to see a doctor to treat swollen eyes. In these condition you must not resort to home remedies rather consult an eye specialist as the problem may be bigger than just swollen eyes. If you have anything that resembles the following symptoms then you need to see a doctor.
- redness not getting any better
- pain increasing gradually
- white fluid or pus around the eyes
- swelling in only one eye that is not going
- pressure around the eye region
- blurry vision or double vision
- loss of vision
- eye bulging
- severe headache
- watery eyes
- weight loss with swollen eyes
- Shadow of light appearing in your eyes
While swollen eyes is usually normal and you can easily treat it with home remedies. But sometimes the case may be different. So take care of your health and your eyes too. If you want more interesting reads on eye health then stick with Luster Eyes.
Related Article | How to Get Rid of Eye Pain (Causes, Symptoms, Treatments)